Page:Gagnon - Le fort et le château Saint-Louis (Québec), 1908.djvu/154

Cette page a été validée par deux contributeurs.
154
le fort et le château saint-louis

sur laquelle flottait le drapeau britannique, traversa la haute-ville et s’arrêta en face du château Saint-Louis. Le commandant de la place qui l’y attendait, lui en remit les clefs. Les blancs uniformes de France s’alignèrent une dernière fois devant les portes et défilèrent en silence pour faire place aux sentinelles anglaises [1]. »

Le capitaine Knox, dans son journal de la campagne de 1759, donne le nom de « citadelle » au fort Saint-Louis, qu’il trouva « curieusement » situé. Quant à la citadelle proprement dite, il en parle avec autant de mépris que Montcalm, qui était loin d’admirer les travaux de défense érigés sur le cap Diamant. Voici comment s’exprime le capitaine anglais :

« The Castle, or citadel, and residence of the Governor-General, fronting the Recollets’ College and Church, and situated on the grand parade, which is a spacious place surrounded with fair buildings, is curiously erected on the top of a precipice, south of the episcopal house, and overlooks the low town and bason, whence you have a most extensive and delightful prospect of the river downwards and the country on both sides for a very considerable distance. This palace called Fort Saint-Louis, was the rendez-vous of the grand council of the colony. There is, besides, another citadel on the summit of the eminence of Cape Diamond, with a few guns mounted in it ; but, excepting its commanding view of the circumjacent country for a great extent, and of the upper as well as lower river for many leagues, it is otherwise mean and contemptible. Most of the other public buildings carry a striking appearance, particularly the Jesuits’ college, Ursulines and

  1. L’abbé Casgrain. — Montcalm et Levis.